So let’s start by a bold and clear statement: dogs should never eat chocolate, be it white, milk or dark. Milk Chocolate. This means it would still take a fair amount of milk chocolate to reach toxic levels because a 20 pound dog would have to eat around 1 pound of milk chocolate. But what does that mean? Chocolate is a well-loved snack and treat made from seeds from the Theobroma Cacao tree. On the flip side, a tiny toy breed may get very sick after eating just a bite of baking chocolate. It is important for children to know that they should not share their chocolate candy with their dog. But now we know chocolate is bad for dogs, let’s find out more about why dogs can’t eat chocolate. One pound of milk chocolate is poisonous enough for 20 pound dog. Excluding white chocolate, milk chocolate has the lowest concentration of theobromine in it. These cacao beans contain the substances theobromine and caffeine, which both belong to the drug class methylxanthine. Milk chocolate is very toxic to dogs and it only takes 2 ounces per pound of body weight to become lethal. Treatment is required for dogs who have eaten 3.5g of dark chocolate for every kilogram they weigh and 14g of milk chocolate for every kilogram they weigh. As a rule of thumb, the darker the chocolate, the more potent the side effects on a dog. The short answer is no, dogs cannot eat any chocolate because of the theobromine found in cocoa. Lethal Dose of Chocolate by Dog's Weight . For milk chocolate, any ingestion of more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight may put dogs at risk for chocolate poisoning. It takes on average 7 pounds of chocolate to damage the average dog’s liver, (small dogs, of course, need to ingest less for damage to occur). Chocolate is one of the most common causes of dog poisoning, and it may lead to the death of your companion. "The amount of toxic theobromine varies with the type of chocolate." Can Dogs Eat Chocolate? *** Please be aware that while white chocolate typically contains negligible amounts of theobromine, it may contain cocoa butter, sugar, butterfat and milk solids, all of which are bad for dogs … I guarantee there isn’t 7 pounds of chocolate in the chocolate milk. Pets that ingest a few M&Ms or 1-2 bites of a chocolate chip cookie are unlikely to develop chocolate poisoning. Milk chocolate - it's not too bad. Milk chocolate has a small risk of poisoning. Baking chocolate is very concentrated, 10 times more potent than milk chocolate, and is … For many dogs, ingesting small amounts of milk chocolate is not harmful. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Solid milk chocolate and bittersweet chocolate bars can be toxic, especially to smaller dogs. While half pound is enough for a 10 pound dog. For example, a large breed dog is unlikely to be harmed by eating a bar of milk chocolate. To put this in perspective, a medium-sized dog weighing 50 pounds would only need to eat 1 ounce of baker's chocolate, or 9 ounces of milk chocolate, to potentially show signs of poisoning. Dog's Weight /Lethal Dose of Theobromide/Milk Chocolate/ Unsweetened Chocolate . Eating very small amounts of milk chocolate or chocolate-flavored treats will not harm most pets, but it is better to be cautious and keep all chocolate away from dogs and cats. Can dogs eat chocolate? Our emergency vets have created a helpful calculator to allow owners to check if their dog has eaten a toxic amount. 5 lbs /200 mg /4 oz /0.5 oz From our study, we found that the average chocolate bar found in the market contains 2/3 ounces of milk chocolate. Mild to moderate toxic effects of methylxanthines in dogs can appear after a dog ingests as … This equates to 1 oz per lb body weight. 14g of chocolate needs to be eaten per kg body weight before treatment is recommended. a small 45g / 1.6oz bar of milk chocolate would only be dangerous to a pet weighing less than 3.2kg or 7lb